These are the things that annoyed me this week.
5. Jay Leno - Yep, I'm on Team Coco. Conan is much funnier than Jay is now. This doesn't mean that Jay wasn't a funny guy. I've read a few articles over the past week saying the same thing, that Jay lost his edge when he began hosting the Tonight Show. I remember going to see Jay at the Concord Pavilion before he took over as the host. He was pretty funny.
But Conan is following along Letterman's style of being spontaneous and sarcastic. And also of being funny. Jay quit that many years ago. While many people site the Masturbating Bear as an example of Conan's edginess, I've always prefered the Gaseous Weiner.
But I don't really blame Jay for what's going on. He's taking care of himself. his show didn't work at 10, so he wants something else instead of getting fired. It's business. It's his life. He should be doing what he's doing. That is, if it weren't for this clip. Ah well. Looks like starting soon I get to go to bed after Letterman's comedy
bit instead of Conans.
4. Awareness - I don't know about the rest of you, but there's something going on in this country that I had no clue about. You aren't going to believe this, but women, and sometimes men, can get cancer in their breasts! I suspect that a wizard was trying to cover up the concept of breast cancer and the only way to break his spell was to have the women of America post their bra color onto a social media site!
Seriously, though, if you posted yours just to have fun, as another Facebook meme, great. That's what it was. And there's certainly no negative to posting it. I realize that most people posted it as much for the shock value (though I can't imagine a person with stable emotions and normal sensibilities being shocked), and most of the rest posted it for fun.
But did any of you really post it to raise awareness? And if so, you didn't actually do anything. Next time, try again. But post it more like this:
About 192,370 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in American women in 2009. Visit http://ww5.komen.org to donate and become more aware."
3. Peter Jackson - His first movie, Bad Taste, is the funniest movie ever. Hands down, no argument. I like his movies between Bad Taste and the Lord of the Rings movies, which I loved. While not as much as Lance, I really liked King Kong. So with The Lovely Bones, what happened, Peter?
Under most circumstances, the two idiots to either side of me texting throughout the movie would have bothered me the most. Or it could have been the group of four high school kids in front of my clinking their beer bottles throughout from beginning to end (and constantly getting up to do whatever). But this time, the movie was worse.
This was one of the worst movies I've seen in the past few years. Technically, it's well made. The look of heaven (or whatever it's called) is pretty. Stanley Tucci is really good as a child rapist/killer,but he's still a child rapist/killer. It isn't that theme that bothers me. I really liked Little Children, which dealt with a similar theme. There are scenes that feel like they should be parodies of light hearted family films, but they aren't.
Roger Ebert opens his review this way: "The Lovely Bones is a deplorable film with this message: If you're a 14-year-old girl who has been brutally raped and murdered by a serial killer, you have a lot to look forward to." I felt unclean after watching, especially after the kiss scene. Deplorable, indeed.
I started reading this book a few years ago, but become too bored to finish. Anyone out there read the book and see the movie? Is it faithful?
2. Eighth graders - Completely unnecessary.
1. Bill Tam - This is the guy who wants to be removed as a defendant in the Prop 8 case. he rallied his bigoted troops together in support of Prop 8 with such statements as "One by one, other states would fall into Satan's hands," and "Every child, when growing up, would fantasize marrying someone of the same sex. More children would become homosexuals."
Guess what, Bill? You spewed hatred and bullshit in your attempt to make sure that two dudes aren't living in a situation that would make them happy and have no impact on you whatsoever. You deserve to be a defendant. And I believe you deserve to lose. You don't get to take away rights from people and get away with it.
As I've made fairly clear on my blog before, I'm not a religious person. That means I believe that the whole "Satan" argument is also bullshit. But allow me to come at this assuming that there is such thing. If you use Satan in your propaganda, you are using Satan. Go have a talk with your buddy Pat Robertson and see if you the two of you can figure out a way out of this.
So what annoyed you this week?